NICOLETTE VISSER PHYSIO’S SPECIFIC AREAS OF INTEREST INCLUDE:
Orthopaedic Manipulative Physiotherapy (OMT):
Therapists trained in this area have a special interest in “musculoskeletal” injuries. Some areas that we have a special interest in include:
- Headaches, temporomandibular dysfunction of the jaw.
- Back and neck pain: including whiplash, mechanical low back pain, postural dysfunction, prolapsed discs, facet joint dysfunction, spondylosis, spondylolisthesis, instabilities, scoliosis and sciatica, nerve root impingement, post-operative rehabilitation.
- Peripheral Joints
- Shoulder pain – tendinopathies, (biceps tendinopathy, rotator cuff tendinopathy), Rotator cuff impingement syndromes, rotator cuff tears, sub-acromial bursitis, AC joint problems, scapular-humeral dysfunction (the cause of many shoulder injuries), arthritis, adhesive capsulitis/ frozen shoulders, surgical follow up rehabilitation.
- Elbow – Tennis and golfers elbow which are tendinopathies
- Other Sprains and strains and rehabilitation following injuries.
- Wrist and hand – tendinopathies, carpel tunnel syndrome, arthritis, ganglions, sprains and strains, Dequervains tendonitis
- Hip – Lateral hip syndrome (Trochanteric Bursitis and tendinopathies), osteoarthritis, labral tears, clicking hip syndrome, muscle imbalance and motor control problems leading to pain, muscle injuries to the gluteal, hamstring and groin area (adductors).
- Sacroiliac Joint (SIJ) dysfunction – form closure problems (“misalignment”), force closure problems (muscle control) and Inflammation of the SIJ.
- Knee – Bursitis, ITB, patella femoral pain (mal-tracking patella), fat pad irritation, tendinopathies, ligament tears (ACL, MCL, etc.), rehabilitation after surgery, osteoarthritis, muscle strains and sprains, muscle imbalance, meniscal tears.
- Lower Leg / Ankle/Foot – Shin pain, ankle sprain, tendinopathies around the ankle/foot, Plantar fasciitis of the foot, chronic instability of the ankle, Achilles tendinopathy, severs pain in the child, muscle sprains and strains/ tears, rehabilitation after surgery, total ankle replacements etc.
We have a keen interest in all sports injuries particularly running, swimming and cycling. It is important to understand all aspects of an athletes training to give the best treatment in the context of their sport.
Post-Operative Rehabilitation (Orthopaedics)
We also treat
- Chest conditions and sinusitis – Adult and paediatric bronchitis, bronchopneumonia, emphysema
- Peripheral neuropathies.
- Vestibular problems: Physiotherapy for certain conditions associated with dizziness like BPPV or vertigo.
This is a specialized area in physiotherapy using complex decongestive physiotherapy (CDT) and manual lymph drainage techniques. Therapists treating this condition are certified and registered with “LAOSA” this is an effective treatment for reducing and maintaining oedema reduction or swelling in the limbs.
- Conditions often treated include lymphoedema in the arms following breast cancer surgery (mastectomy or lymph node removal) and radiation.
- Lymphoedema in the legs following cancer treatment or oedema for vascular reasons like venous insufficiency.